FAB5 Conference Forum

The forum for FAB5 Conference participants!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Annie in Hiroshima

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Annie in Hiroshima on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:52 am

Hello, fellow Brains!

My name is Annie Semmelroth.  I work at Hiroshima Bunkyo Women's University in Hiroshima, Hiroshima. Smile  I have lived in Japan for close to 10 years, and have been in Hiroshima for 3.5 years.  I am considering doing a PhD in neuroscience or something along the lines of neuroELT, which has brought me to signing up for this course!  I hope to get a better understanding and perspective of what exactly I want to research in the future.

On a more personal note, I rock climb and travel as often as possible.  I have been climbing for over 7 years now and have managed to climb in 8 countries so far.  This summer, I will be going to the Rocklands in South Africa for some bouldering, followed by a trip to Zambia to check out the Bantu culture (arts, music and dance).  I really hope that my trip won't interfere to much with this course.  I will do my best with the intermittent internet I will have on the trip.  

Smile
Annie

View user profile

2 Re: Annie in Hiroshima on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:57 am

Admin

Admin
Welcome Annie  Very Happy 

Very happy to hear that you are considering a PhD!
Looking forward to working with you toward that goal.
Robert

View user profile http://fab-efl.com

3 Re: Annie in Hiroshima on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Annie, 
That's so cool! I'm thinking about joining a climbing gym in Tokyo after FAB5. Maybe you can give me some pointers Smile
Cheers, 
Tom

View user profile

4 Re: Annie in Hiroshima on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:40 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, Robert.

Tom, 
I'm always more than happy to talk about climbing!  There are some great areas to climb around Tokyo as well.  You live in a prime place for rock climbing in Japan.
See you soon!

Annie

View user profile

5 Re: Annie in Hiroshima on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Annie, I enjoyed the short talks with you at the conference and appreciated your nice comments after the presentation.  I've spent a lot of my free time over past 5 years writing and blogging on Paul Krugman's NYT economics blog, but have long been fascinated by abnormal psych, probably because it was so easy for me to relate to. Master's in counseling was for self-therapy, I suppose.  

I have little desire to undertake a PhD but admire anyone who does. It seems we've all taken the road less traveled here in Japan. Whatever you do, I hope our paths cross again at some point, maybe next year at Fab6. Definitely want to make it and certainly will give it the ole college try. Happy trails to you, Gary

View user profile

6 Gary! on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Gary,

Glad to hear from you!  Sorry for the delayed response.  Last weekend I had to make another trip to Osaka for the GRE.  Yikes!  What a monster activity that is.  All I could think about what how dated the methods of that test were.  I mean, 4.5 hours of of sitting through incredibly cognitively challenging questions, with no water or no bathroom breaks (minus one 10 minute break). The execution of that test has obviously not been informed by any neuroscience or education practices!

Anyhow, I am happy to have it out of the way.  And really looking forward to diving deeper into this course.  Are you a student in this neuroELT course as well?

I was very impressed that you got up and did your presentation at the conference considering it was your first public speaking since high school!  And you did great!  Thanks for the cup of coffee, btw!

Smile
Annie

View user profile

7 Re: Annie in Hiroshima on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:03 am

Hi Annie!!

It's great hearing from you and better late than never.  Actually, it didn't matter at all because I was in Texas until Sept. 5th to enroll Mark in first grade for a few weeks.  Wish we could have stayed longer because it helped him with English a lot.   

About the GRE, I know what you mean because I have serious doubts about its validity as well.  My score was nothing I would hang on the wall but then I wasn't applying to any top unis or to a doctoral program.  I'll bet you did well but if not I guess you'll need to work through a Barron's or other test prep book.  I can't even imagine going into a test like that cold, i.e., without taking some practice tests.

I would rather correspond through regular email.  I don't have anything all that personal to tell you but there's a time and place for blogging and another for friendly small talk.  My address is garytexas44[at]gmail.com. It really was nice hearing from you and if you're ever in Tokyo or Yokohama I hope you'll look me up.  Enjoy the last week or so of summer break, take care and bye for now, yours, Gary

View user profile

8 Not on certificate course on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:21 am

Annie, sorry but I neglected to answer your question.  No, I didn't do the certificate course but I know it would have been interesting and challenging for sure.  About the prez, it went better than I expected and it was my first time to present in an EFL conference but I've been presenting in classes for years - these poor Japanese kids are my guineas.  My lame attempts at appearing shy are all a load of bull as you probably suspected.   Hope your summer went well, ja ne, Gary

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum